Brain Gain Made Easy ……….in 7 Steps
- Step it up, physical exercise helps prevent illnesses that can lead to memory loss by releasing a protein needed by the brain for healthy nerve cells. Divide the recommended 50 grams of protein in your B/L/D.
- Check out the Mediterranean and MIND diets have shown a 20 decrease in memory problems, include lots of fruits, vegetables, and fish and uses good olive oil.
- Engage your brain just like good physical exercise; mentally challenging activities will keep your mind sharper. Use your NON-DOMINATE hand as much a possible. TRY something NEW everyday.
- Stay social, stay engaged in your life. Studies prove that the more social connections someone has in their life the better they are at enhancing and preserving mental acuity.
- Better Sleep. If your sleep is restless (causes lower concentration) here are few ways to help: no eating, caffeine, alcohol 3 hours prior to bedtime and try to get into and out of bed at regular times.
- Lower your stress. High levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, prevents the brain from retrieving data out of the “memory bank” Seek solutions through yoga, meditation, be socially engaged, less social media.
- STOP smoking. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and may cause small stokes in the brain, so keep looking into all available quitting solutions until you find one that works.