Brain Gain Made Easy ……….in 7 Steps
- Step it up, physical exercise helps prevent illnesses that can lead to memory loss by releasing a protein needed by the brain for healthy nerve cells.
- Try a Mediterranean diet that has shown a 20 decrease in memory problems, as it has lots of fruits, vegetables, and fish and uses good olive oil.
- Engage your brain just like good physical exercise; mentally challenging activities will keep your mind sharper.
- Stay social, stay engaged in your life. Studies prove that the more social connections someone has in their life the better they are at enhancing and preserving mental acuity.
- Sleep better. If your sleep is restless (causing lower concentration) here are few ways to help: no big meals, caffeine, alcohol 3 hours prior to bedtime and try to get into and out of bed at regular times.
- Lower your stress. High levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, prevents the brain from moving data out of the “memory bank” Add yoga, meditation and maybe even massage to your routine..
- STOP smoking. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and may cause small stokes in the brain, so keep looking into all available quitting solutions until you find one that works.