We are all trying to shop smarter and less frequently. Here are some suggestions from nutrition experts to get the heathy foods you need, without extending you time in the store. Yes, there is a COVID benefit to shopping only 2-3 times a month.
- Make a list. Arrange the list according to the store layout.
- Don’t go shopping hungry.
- Create a colorful cart. Seek a colorful variety of produce, dark leafy greens, red apples, oranges, squash and eggplant.
- Embrace the frozen aisle. Frozen vegetables and fruits are just as healthy. Plus, plus they last longer, so cuts down on waste
- Diversify your protein. Seek a variety of protein sources over the winter months. Lean meats, seafood, nuts, variety of beans, seeds, eggs and poultry.
- Revive the crock pot. Look for the slow cooking meals that combine multi-protein source, chili, stews, chicken and dumpling……………. the comfort foods.
- Read the labels. Understanding the labels help you choose the pasta sauce or soups with lowest sodium, 100% whole grain breads, protein bars and cereals with higher fiber and less added sugar.
- Stock up on DIY ingredients. Keep oils, vinegars and spices to flavor your own sauces and salad dressings.
- Resist the impulse buys. If it gets into your house, it is much more likely to be consumed. Plan your treats ahead of time.