Cleveland Clinics’ Heart and Blood Pressure Disorder Center study found that multiple factors are at fault for increase in B/P during COVID.. The primary reasons found were increase in stress, in alcohol intake, not enough exercise, lack of sleep, and putting off needed medical care.
- Know you Numbers. Check your B/P. Best average B/P is 120/80. If you reach 130/80 plus you should be under MD care.
- Eat the right foods. DASH is the Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension plan is rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy.
- Check Your Salt. Stop buying store bought meals, go for items that are baked, grilled or poached. Check your pantry for the salt in salad dressing, dips, ketchup, salsa, mustard, pickles, olives and relishes.
- Move and Strengthen. Sitting less and moving more are a critical part of the lowering your B/P plan. Preferred are, walking daily, yoga and tai chi.
- Handle Your Stress. Stress releases hormones that increase heart rate, constrict blood vessels both driving your B/P up. Include calming meditation exercise that you do EVRY DAY. Try belly breathing: take slow belly filling breathes in through your nose, hold and the blow it ALL our though your open mouth. Repeat for 10 minutes.
Do at least one………better do them all and feel better.