Sugar, often hidden, found in our diets does effect much of the human body. It’s important to understand the context in which sugar can impact our health.
Effects of Sugar on Health:
- Inflammation: Excessive sugar consumption will lead to chronic inflammation in the body and defeat the healing process. Chronic high sugar intake will defeat the body’s ability to heal properly.
- Immune System Suppression: “Invisible” sugar intake can suppress the immune system’s functioning. Read Label, as sugars are in many forms.
- Impaired Immune Response: Diets that are high in hidden sugars impair the immune system’s ability to respond effectively to infections and injuries, slowing down the healing process.
- Delayed Recovery: Overall steady sugar consumption is associated with both obesity and diabetes, which will lead to delayed wound healing and increased risk of infections.
- Nutrient Imbalance: A diet with even hidden sugary content will lead to nutrient imbalances, of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that are crucial for healing.
Monitoring and moderating sugar intake is important, seeing the impact of sugar on our bodies. For optimal health, it’s generally recommended to consume a balanced diet rich in whole foods, lean proteins, healthy fats, and a variety of fruits (best sugars) and vegetables. If you’re concerned about how sugar may be affecting you it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice.