8 Steps to Engage Your Brain While Sitting
The dangers of sitting are crystal clear. Sedentary Life Style = increased risk of heart disease, cancer, brain shrinkage(!) back pain and poor posture. Best Health = Move 5 minutes of every 30 minutes you are awake.
“An active brain has neurons firing to form new connections, that equal brain reserve and back up cells to avoid plaques and neuron tangles” according to Dr. Budson Chief of Neurology at VA/Harvard Healthcare system.
Keep your brain active even while seated:
- Expand your horizons. Read a book on a NEW subject, listen to music, find a brain games app for your phone or iPad.
- Do as much as possible with your NON-DOMINATE HAND! It takes time but worth the effort.
- Call a friend, phone contact engages the brain to create new brain cell
- Make some music. Play your instrument or write a song.
- Play games, cards, board games, word game and change up so you do not play the same game or puzzles. New every day!
- Get something on paper. Ever written a poem, a story for your grandchildren, color, or take up painting?
- Try your hand at a something that suits sitting like knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, model building or leatherworking.
- Find good seated exercise on YouTube https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+seated+exercises+for+older+adults
Best Health = Move 5 minutes of every 30 minutes you are awake.