Eating foods rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein are important but antioxidants prevent or slow “Oxidative Stress” to your cells. Antioxidants are the antidote to the free radicals from the environment that cause damage to cells, accelerate the aging process which raises your risk for various diseases.
- Your Goal should be to eat 4 cups of produce a day!
- Nutritional Value is lost as foods as foods sit, so eat fresh or frozen.
- Polyphenols (anti-cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes fighters) found in dark berries, walnuts, pecans, oatmeal and yes, chocolate!
- Flavonoids (hypertension, virus and neurological fighters) can be found in apples, asparagus, citrus fruit, eggplants.
- Carotenoids (age related cognitive and eye disease like macular degeneration fighters) found in carrots, of course, watermelon, spinach, kale, broccoli and brussels sprouts.
- Peel Appeal. Don’t miss out on the crucial nutrients, such as fiber, vitamins, mineral antioxidants that are in the skin. Wash, don’t peel carrots, potatoes and “zest all skins of citrus fruit into a container and keep frozen for added appeal to your recipes.
The simplest ways to get plenty antioxidants is through your diet. So, brighten every day!