A 2022 study done by Harvard Research, found 72 % of Americans over 65 say they know only some or none of their neighbors. 58% say they have lost touch with many of past friends. They have let their “tribe” dissipate. April is National Volunteer month. volunteering is an easy way to rebuild your “tribe”. Your Tribe is built from the purposely made connections of family, friends, new and old, neighbors, card group friends, and volunteer friends. Embracing your tribe will boost your health, happiness, and longevity.
Spend this month embracing your tribe.
- Lives Saved: When you are embedded in your tribe there will be fewer lives lost. Your tribe will be aware of your activities and needs.
- Happier Aging: older adults who are familiar with their neighbors show a far higher sense of psychological wellbeing.
- Safer Streets: Tight-knit neighborhoods are aware of what is happening.
- Boosted Wellbeing: People who are embedded in their lives are generally cheerier, healthier, and spend more time outside.
- Re-socialize. Smile often, call a friend, wave at people, say Hello, try to do random acts of kindness each day.
- Hand in Hand: Even in the digital age of hand-held phones most people are happier when they meet in person.
The bottom line: Step outside ( even your comfort zone) and start a conversation, befriending your neighbors, become embedded in your tribe, enjoy a healthier and happier life.