Better You in 7 Steps
- Step it up, physical exercise helps prevent illnesses that can lead to memory loss by releasing proteins needed by the brain for healthy functioning cells.
- Try a Mediterranean diet that has shown a decrease in memory problems, as it is primarily fruits, vegetables, and fish and uses good extra virgin olive oil. Remember lo-fat protein is the brain’s fuel= 50 grams a day for adults. Measure for success!
- Engage your brain with new, different mentally challenging activities each day to keep your mind sharper. Try doing as much as you can, every day with your non-dominant hand. Fire up the unused side of your brain.
- Stay social, get engaged in your life. Studies prove that the more social connections someone has in their life the better they are at enhancing and preserving mental acuity. So, get yourself back out there and call an old friend, invite friends that have been vaccinated over to dinner, and take a walk with a friend. Smile and wave at everyone!
- Sleep better. Poor sleep causes lower concentration and ability to focus. Here are few ways to help: no food intake later than 8:00 pm, restrict caffeine after mid-afternoon, no alcohol 3 hours prior to bedtime, and get into and out of bed on a schedule.
- Lower your stress. High levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, prevent the brain from moving data out of the “memory bank”. Get out of the metal rocking chair by not replaying the same messages. Learn your “tricks” to lower stress: taking a walk, yoga, meditation, massage. Lower your resentments and you will lower your stress.
- STOP smoking. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and may cause small strokes in the brain, so keep looking into all available quitting solutions until you find one that works.
Now give yourself a Hi-Five when you try them all!