The following are some commonsense approaches from a respiratory therapist and MD currently working on the front lines. If this common-sense approach is followed, you can improve your chances of not ending up in the hospital. This applies to the generally healthy population. If you have other systemic issues you already should have been in touch with you MD.
Immunity is weakened by always staying in a sterile environment. You do not want to have the immunity of a newborn! So, eat an immune boosting diet and get out in sunlight and fresh air. (See other Immune Support information on http://scclhs.com)
1 We have to learn to live with COVID-19 for the foreseeable future. Let’s NOT make our lives useless. Keep the humanity and learn to live with the facts.
2. Only high temperatures kill a virus. That means internal body temperature (fever) can kill the viruses in your body. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is best for those treating fevers.
3. You must rehydrate yourself regularly, whether you like it or not. The electrolytes and fluid you are losing, through fever. So replenish with fluids like Gatorade or electrolyte balance drinks.
4. Eat small, frequent healthy immune supporting meals. “Starve a Cold Feed a Fever”!
5.Pursed lip breathing can help your lungs. That is breathing in deeply, as you can and slow then exhaling through tight lips as if your blowing out a candle, blow until you have completely emptied your lungs. Then you should be able to breath in even deeper breaths. This helps keep lungs expanded, as well as increase your oxygen level.
6. Washing hands, wear a mask and maintaining physical distance is the best method for your protection.
7. COVID-19 is not a food infection. There are no demonstrated risks that COVID-19 is transmitted by food.
8. You can lose your sense of smell with a lot of allergies and viral infections, common at this time of year. This is a non-specific symptom of COVID-19.
9. The air is clean; so move: walk through the garden, trails and through parks (just keeping your physical protection distance).
10. Use normal soap (+ HOT water) against COVID-19, not antibacterial soap. This is a virus, not a bacterium.
11. You should reheat take-out meals in the microwave.
12. The chances of bringing COVID-19 home with your shoes is like being struck by lightning twice in a day.
13. You can’t prevent the virus by taking vinegar, zinc, sugarcane juice or ginger! These are for immune support only, not a cure.
14. Wearing gloves is a bad idea; the virus can accumulate into the glove and be easily transmitted if you touch your face. Better just to wash your hands with hot soapy water frequently.
15. Immunity is weakened by always staying in a sterile environment. So, even if you eat immune boosting diet, go out of your house regularly.
16.This virus has already morphed. Remember you need to treat the symptoms so all medication you take should be to relieve symptoms.
Be smart and stay informed! Live life
sensibly and to the fullest. Move. Sunlight is spirit for the soul. Be Kind, Be Calm and Be Safe!