Living in the world of COVID brings stress and uncertainty and that put strain on your heart. Here are some suggestions to stay healthy in the coming months. All of these suggestions help support your immune system, so it will be there to support you when you need it in tip top shape.
- Don’t smoke, as it clogs up our lung filtering system.
- Keep blood pressure under control by managing your weight, exercise, eat a healthy diet and take, if needed, all medications under a doctor’s care.
- Get active. Sedentary lifestyle can be a real killer. Find something you love to do and move for 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week.
- Sleep Well. Getting 6 hours of sleep helps support cardiac function, allowing the cardiac system to be at rest. Chose a routine, timing, dark room, don’t eat 3 hours before retiring, eliminate caffeine and alcohol during the evening hours. Remember, alcohol inhibits immunity and accelerates the inflammatory immune responses within our bodies.
- Watch your weight. Excess wight is a common denominator in putting too much pressure on our immune and specifically cardiac system. Smaller portions, keep moving, bake versus fry, read the labels and avoid foods with high sugar and fats. Increase vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts, as all are loaded with nutrients essential for our immune system.
- CONTROL STRESS. Stress causes the release of adrenaline which raises cortisol levels, blood pressure and speeds up the heart rate. Try yoga, meditation, listening to relaxing music or books on tape, stay socially engaged and remember consciously to do slow deep breathing FREQUENTLY throughout the day.
3 W’s Wash Hand Wear Mask Watch Distance Stay Safe Stay Healthy