Falls brings slow cooking. Think whole grains, bringing anti-aging benefits. The entire kernel of grain must be listed to qualify as “whole grain”. If there is just “germ and bran “it means these are “refined whole grains”, so the bulk of the fiber, iron and nutrients are removed.
- Freekeh is a type of grain that is harvested young and is usually sold roasted and cracked, giving it a smokey flavor and is one of the highest in protein, with 8 grams in ¾ of a cup serving.
- Barley is a nutty grain that is rich in beta-glucan, the same cholesterol lowering soluble fibers, can help lower your “bad cholesterol”.
- Farro daily serving of ¾ of a cup provides at least 30 % of your niacin, which your body must have daily to turn food into energy and 20 % of your immune boosting zinc.
- Sorghum which is round and mild in flavor, similar to Israel couscous. Sorghum has the highest levels of disease fighting antioxidants of all the grains.
- Teff has unusual high amounts of 92 mg of calcium per ¾ of cup. Teff like most grains is high in fiber which helps with blood sugar ratios and gut health.
So, Freekeh out! Experiment. Be Healthier