Cleveland Clinic studies have shown that our taste buds diminish as we age. However, taste buds are adaptable and can be “purposely reprogramed”. Here are 7 steps to retrain your taste buds to enjoy a healthier palate.
- Start Small. Start by reducing the amount of added salt in your food over a 6-week period.
- Increase Flavor. Adding healthy herbs and spices entices your other sense, smell.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners. NIH reports that artificial sweeteners are 180-13,000 (yup) times sweeter than sugar. Eating artificially sweeten alters our palate and makes us want more.
- Repeat your exposure to foods. I don’t think many children like the taste of coffee. As adults we have trained our taste buds to enjoy coffee. Repeated exposure to bitter foods like broccoli and citrus can change your saliva proteins, helping healthier foods taste better.
- Change to good fats When cooking. use EVOO and oven-roast foods instead of frying. Skip butter and shortening.
- Stay away from processed food. Cook meals from scratch, in batches and freeze for another time. Add whole grains to each meal. Change to fruits and berries for desserts
- 6-week check-in. See if you have adjusted your palate and are enjoying healthier foods in your daily diet by August 1st!